News and Stories
News and Stories
- Gabe La Rosa, a former St. Aemilian’s orphan, said he owes all his success in life to the nuns.
Gabe lived in the three-story building at 60th and Lloyd Streets, where the orphanage relocated after a fire in 1930, in the late 1940’s and early ‘50s. He was 5 years old when he entered and 15 ... Continue→
- Milwaukee, WI (4/18/14) — The Department of Children and Families (DCF) has selected SaintA to provide treatment in Functional Family Therapy (FFT) for a new program called Safe Milwaukee, which aims to reduce violent and delinquent behavior by youths.
The Milwaukee Police Department approached DCF about the program to address high-risk delinquent behavior, especially violence by ... Continue→
- When 10-year-old Brian returned to SaintA’s residential program after going to school off site, it was obvious something was not right.
The boy is on the autism spectrum, and he likes things to be just so.
Abigail Myers, left, and Stephanie Gibart
“He really wants to do well, and we tell him he’s a smart kid and can ... Continue→
- View the presentations from:
Dr. Robert Anda, co-principal investigator, original ACE study
Laura Porter, Ace Interface
Susan Dreyfus, president and CEO, Alliance for Children and Families
Participants from around the Midwest and beyond gathered in Pewaukee March 24-26 for sessions focused on learning more about and spreading the word on adverse childhood experiences (ACEs). The offerings were co-sponsored by ... Continue→
- After spending 17 years together as a couple, Thomas Ecks and Terry Grogan felt something was missing in their lives. There was some sort of a void they didn’t quite know how to fill. Then they realized the missing piece was children.
Both had come from strong, sturdy families with siblings, and it just seemed natural ... Continue→
- Milwaukee, Wis. (1/15/2014) -– The Center for the Study of Social Policy (CSSP), a national think tank based in Washington, D.C., has selected our trauma informed care work as one of 15 exemplary initiatives that are innovative and helping youth thrive. SaintA was selected out of 136 applications submitted from across the nation.
“Your real life ... Continue→
- Cindy Bowen grew up in a home with substance abuse and without love. Her mother shipped her around to various relatives because she didn’t much like her daughter. Ira Bowen had 13 brothers and sisters and his home was brimming with affection. Together, they have almost a calling to pool their experiences and share the ... Continue→
Milwaukee, Wis. (12/1/13) — SaintA is excited to announce that our agency has been granted NMT Flagship status from the ChildTrauma Academy (CTA). This makes us one of a select group of organizations worldwide that have been granted this status. In announcing the decision, the CTA noted that Flagship organizations have dedicated thousands of hours ... Continue→
- Milwaukee, Wis. (11/14/13) — Erika Meyer, a former supervisor in Ongoing Case Management, has been hired as project coordinator for SaintA’s $450,000 grant from the Russell J. and Betty Jane Shaw Fund of the Greater Milwaukee Foundation. The grant funds integrating a trauma informed approach into child welfare at IFS.
The three-year grant engages the work ... Continue→
Milwaukee, Wis. (10/31/13) — Students in SaintA’s Transitions Therapeutic School showcased their monthly art projects for staff today. The four classes in the school, which serves boys in our Residential Program and some from area school districts, are working forward in history. They started this school year studying dinosaurs, just completed early history, and will ... Continue→
- Milwaukee, Wis. (10/31/13) — SaintA received a $5,000 check today for Independent Living Services from the Willis Foundation. Willis is the insurance broker for our agency.
From left, Frank Gaunt, Ryan Barbieri, Marcia Harris, Bridget Fassett, Dave Saphner, Ann Leinfelder Grove and Dale Thoma.
Marcia Harris of Willis contacted our Chief Financial Officer, Bridget Fassett, to tell ... Continue→
- Milwaukee, Wis. (10/28/13) –- St. Aemilian-Lakeside is the presenting sponsor for Jammin’ 98.3 FM’s Share the Warmth project. The project collects coats for needy Milwaukee recipients.
Listen an interview with Licensing Supervisor Nichole Ostrowski-Grasset on St. Aemilian-Lakeside’s foster care program:
WJMR 98.3 FM, Share the Warmth Continue→
- Milwaukee, Wis. (10/25/13) — “Don’t give up! Do not give up!” Antonio R. Riley, the Midwest regional administrator for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) told three young people he met today from St. Aemilian-Lakeside’s Supportive Permanent Housing Program.
ILS clients, from left, Deion Bishop, Ed Burch and Wil Johnson with HUD’s Midwest ... Continue→
Nate Prorock is working at Integrated Family Services through the Trinity Fellows Program out of Marquette University. This graduate fellowship program seeks to develop leaders who are committed to social and economic justice.
Fellows participate in a 21-month study/work program in the urban nonprofit sector while earning a master’s degree. Nate is working on a degree ... Continue→
- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett met last night with a group of St. Aemilian-Lakeside young people from the Residential Treatment and Independent Living Services programs, focusing on character and perseverance in the face of adversity.
Mayor Barrett told stories about problems he experienced growing up in Milwaukee’s Washington Park neighborhood, such as getting in a fight and ... Continue→